Flammable Flea Spray Warning!
A Good Thing Cats Have Nine Lives
Bradenton Cat Catches Fire – Salem is a 12 year old black domestic shorthair cat. A few weeks ago, his owner sprayed him with Advantage Flea spray, not knowing about the Flammable Flea Spray Warning. While still damp from the spray, Salem came into contact with a candle and caught on fire.
Poor Salem ran around the home, while his owner, horrified, chased after him trying to put out the flames with a towel. Finally, he ran under the bed, which allowed his owner to throw a towel over him and extinguish the flames. Grabbing Salem up she rushed him to the closest Animal ER in Bradenton where they hospitalized him and treated him for burns and smoke inhalation. The terrified owner spent the night worried because they were not sure if he would survive the first night at the ER.
But Salem still had 8 more lives. Steadily he improved with the help from the skilled Veterinarian, the staff and TLC from his Mom. One of the ER vets recommended that he come to the Sarasota Animal Medical Center and be treated by me for Cold laser therapy to help his wounds heal more quickly. Salem responded to the treatment wonderfully. He is sweetest cat you would ever want to meet. Surprisingly, he has no fearful behaviors after the incident and is still very friendly. He suffered some hair loss and the tip of his ears have sloughed off, but he is going to be fine thanks to his strong spirit and all of the help he’s had along the way.
So, make sure before you treat your pet with any type of pest control that you check the label for warnings and keep them from any open flame.